Our Services – giving our customers boundless transparency for the future of the grid.
Watch our video explaining our most important services.
When it comes to maintaining Europe’s power supply, TSCNET Services as a Regional Security Coordinator (RSC) is right in the middle! We support transmission system operators (TSOs) in mastering the challenges of the energy transition with an ever increasing share of renewable energy and in reliably and efficiently securing energy supply in a common European market – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
We help TSOs to better manage their expanding operations, especially with respect to increases in cross-border transmission and trading. The actual operation of the networks remains the responsibility of the TSOs, but they rely on our data, tools, and services.
Most of the customers are shareholders
The entire European electricity transmission grid is divided into partially overlapping Capacity Calculation Regions (CCR). We work for several of these CCRs and make some of our data available to all other Regional Security Coordinators (RSCs) and thus to all regions. Because of our customers we are focused on the CCR Core.
It is an essential part of our corporate identity that our most important customers are also our shareholders: the transmission system operators from Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Switzerland.
We are the only RSC to enable our customers to work with their colleagues from the other TSOs in a kind of virtual control center. Together they check the results of the safety assessment and develop solutions. This greatly facilitates cooperation and creates a whole new form of transparency.
The RSCs such as TSCNET Services are currently entrusted with a set of mandatory services for their customers according to EU legislation.
- Coordinated Security Analysis (CSA)
- Coordinated Capacity Calculation (CCC)
- Outage Planning Coordination (OPC)
- Short and Medium Term Adequacy forecasts (SMTA)
- Improved Individual Grid Models (IGM) and Common Grid Model (CGM)
In addition to the mandatory core services, we provide numerous additional services for our customers as and where required.
A special case is that of coordinated Multilateral Remedial Actions (MRAs): whenever three or more TSOs need to take joint action to avoid impending bottlenecks and security risks, we coordinate the procedure and ensure a fair and cost-effective solution witj our tailores MRA tool.
In many cases, we also provide our customers with secure direct access to our databases as a reliable resource for their own calculations.
Our services are to be expanded and optimised as required in the future using a more detailed grid model and new security analyses methodology.
Our work is based on network codes drafted under the EU’s Third Energy Package. The codes are said to be the building blocks of the Internal Energy Market. They define the common standards and principles on the basis of which the RSCs and the TSOs cooperate.
Around the clock services
We identify possible bottlenecks, identify operational security risks and suggest possible countermeasures to the TSOs concerned.
- Extended operational security assessment services (aggregation of forecasted load and generation, including renewable infeed, data quality assessment, remedial action decision support, hand-over to real-time operations, remedial action support)
- Day-ahead congestion forecast (DACF), intraday congestion forecast (IDCF), year-ahead congestion forecast (YACF)
- Operational planning teleconferences among our clients to discuss grid conditions, unusual flows or exceptional situations (DOPT and IDOPT)
- Integration of local services, i.e. forecasting, underlying grid as part of grid model, capacity calculation verification
- Intermediate CSA advisory
- Ex-post calculation and cost sharing determination (e.g. MRAs)
- Critical grid situations (CGS)
- Early warning service (EWS)
As RSC, we calculate the cross-border transmission capacities and thus ensure a maximum of capacities that can be made available to the markets: Day-ahead (D-2), intraday, and long term.
According to the decision of the Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER), Europe is divided into ten Capacity Calculation Regions (CCRs). We provide a large part of our services in the so-called CCR Core, which, except for the TSOs from Denmark and Switzerland, includes all of our customer TSOs.
- Calculation of cross-border capacities based on common grid model
- Post coupling services (validate net positions & calculate cross-border exchanges for market coupling)
We keep an overview of all ongoing and planned maintenance and renovation work on network elements such as transmission lines, generators or transformer stations and help to optimise maintenance management.
- Mid- and long-term outage coordination
- Support national outage planning using ENTSO-E/TSCNET tools
- Weekly operational planning teleconference among our clients to discuss grid conditions, unusual flows or exceptional situations such as outages, high renewable infeeds, or low demand due to bank holidays (WOPT)
As RSC, we provide TSOs with detailed and continuously updated forecasts for power generation and consumption and the state of the transmission network with load flows – weeks in advance or shortly before real time, as required. This also allows transparency to the market participants.
- Generation/load balance
- Analysis of additional security requirements
To ensure that data and forecasts can also be used effectively, we provide the TSOs with a common grid model (CGM) that covers all relevant grid systems in the entire region including generation, consumption and transmission at every hour. All other services and calculations are based on CGM.
- Improved individual grid models (IGM)
- Common grid model (CGM) alignment
- Common grid model (CGM) merging
- Net position forecast
Customer’s best choice
“Customer orientation is one of the pillars of our corporate culture. It is not only about excellent performance, but also about the sense of being in good hands. This is a question of attitude, regardless of whether you deal directly with the customer or, like me, work in the background in administration: We all give the customer the centre of attention!“
Edyta Prościńska, Finance & Reporting Manager
Added services for added value
We are working hard on the continuous improvement and expansion of our services. To do so, we maintain an extremely close cooperation with our customers from development through implementation and optimisation to evaluation.
In three areas, we offer TSOs additional tailor-made services that optimally complement our core product range for our customers as and where required:
Data Analytics & Reporting Services
- Data Visualisation (Offline – all timeframes)
- Business Intelligence Reporting (offline – all timeframes)
- Regulatory & Compliance Reporting (offline – all timeframes)
- DACF/IDCF (day-ahead congestion forecast, intraday congestion forecast) and RTSN (real-time snapshot) summary reports
- Weekly operational performance report
- WOPT report (weekly operational planning teleconferences)
- Reports to internal and external stakeholders as well as reporting to ENTSO-E following obligations of the network codes
- Training & Education for TSO employees and TSCNET staff
- Class-room training
Consulting & Innovation Services
- Specific Analyses (on demand together with one or more TSOs)
- Consulting & Project Management (on demand – delivered through TSCNET and/or in cooperation with external vendors)
- Innovation Services (investigation in new topics/technologies – on demand with one or multiple TSOs)